06 October 2011

0
Comments
ESPN Fires Hank Williams







From Yahoo!:

The country singer and ESPN each took credit for the decision Thursday morning to ax his classic intro to “Monday Night Football.”

The network had pulled the song from the game earlier this week after Williams made an analogy to Adolf Hitler while discussing President Barack Obama on Fox News on Monday morning.

“After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision,” Williams said in a statement to The Associated Press. “By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE. It’s been a great run.”

But ESPN’s statement said: “We have decided to part ways with Hank Williams Jr. We appreciate his contributions over the past years. The success of Monday Night Football has always been about the games and that will continue.”

Full Story>>



I think this is the equivalent of getting fired and then saying "you can't fire me cuz I quit!" Way to not show em your cards Hank. I mean the song is great. A classic really. And I'm pretty upset that this is happeneing just days before the Lions take center-stage at their first Monday Night game in almost a decade. I mean I was pumped to see the highlight reel catches of Megatron meshed with Hank's whiskey sippin country voice.

But don't have your last laugh yet Hankey boy. You're just an entertainer, and entertainers can be replaced. A new hit song will be written as the new intro to Monday Night Football. Look at Katie Holmes, she was replaced seamlessly in The Dark Knight by Maggie Gellynhal. And if I remember correctly; didn't the hit TGIF sitcom "Family Matters" originally have a younger daughter written into the first season, then she was completely cast off the show with no explanation. And nobody gave a single shit. No one!

So have fun moving on with your career. Wont be long before you're begging to headline the SterlingFest. And you'll be lucky if Mayor Notte lets you open for th B-52's. So lets land something fresh to open the most watched sports program in the country. Something that might start like: "Forward down the Fieelllllllddddd........"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment